Sunday, January 10, 2010

Transfer Rates


In a world where we have hard drives that can hold up to 4 TB’s. We have SSD drives that are reaching equivalent capacities. We have transfer rates in I/O coming out next year of up to 5 GB/S with USB 3.0, and up to 10 GB/S with the new Light Peak cable designed by apple and intel. SDHC cards transfer at 6 MByte/s right now. It is not very fast but next year the SDXC has potential of reaching 300 MByte/s. But it is still nearly impossible to send a file larger than 100 MB file to anyone over the internet. Outside of owning a server or knowing someone that can host a large file it is nearly impossible to send “large” files to people. For instance if I take a 2 minute video of christmas. I struggle trying to find ways to send the video to my grandma and grandpa. I would think I could email the file but most email clients don't even support emailing files as large as 100 MB and even if they do it takes 2 hours just to send the file. What about sending it over aim? It takes 25 minutes to transfer 100 MB’s. Why are transfer rates so insanely low on the internet. Why is email not able to be used as a method for sending files such as my christmas video.

No comments: