Friday, March 13, 2009

Questionable Standards?

So I bought a fm transmitter for my iphone, well actually I bought it for my zune about 2 years ago. but nevertheless I bought it and I used it many times draining I would say at least a dozen AAA batteries(and my wallet, batteries are expensive). so recently I pulled it out of my tangled technology drawer because I was tired of hearing the BS on the radio. so I decided to save some money and use rechargeable batteries. now I use rechargeable AA's all the time for my mighty mouse and 360 controllers. so I am not new to them. so I charged up a few AAA's and put them in the transmitter. it didn't work. stunned because the transmitter cost 50 dollars, I decided to test some more AAA's thinking maybe the first batch were bad. those didn't work either. so I decided to test some regular AAA's and viola it worked. flabbergasted I stood in confusion because this didn't make any logical sense to me. so I started seeing the requirement of the batteries. and I found out that a standard AAA puts out 1.5 Volts and that is what the transmitter requires. BUT the rechargeable only put out 1.2 Volts. WHY? I do not understand why this is the way it is. I can usually come up with a crack pot reason, but I am actually answerless. I have no idea. so ya standards my ass.

No comments: